New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: When did you realize you needed glasses?

Ask HN: When did you realize you needed glasses?
3 by gerbilly | 2 comments on Hacker News.
I'm pretty nearsighted, but a first I didn't realize it. The day I realized I needed glasses, it was the last day of sixth grade. Most of the kids had left the classroom and I was alone with the teacher and a girl named Francine. The teacher was asking us how we found the class, and I said: "It was great, but I found it hard to read the board from the back row," and Francine says, "What do you mean, I can read the board fine from here. You need glasses!" Stupidly I hadn't considered that they wouldn't put pupils that far from the blackboard if it were impossible for them to read from that distance. I just figured they put the smart kids in the back rows because they could get by without reading the board and I spent the whole year transcribing as the teacher spoke, and passed my sixth grade without ever being able to read the blackboard.

Post a Comment

0 Comments